Friday, November 25, 2011

St. George

Welp, here's another post about Eric. But, I can't ONLY blog about Harper, right?? I don't have many picture for this event, but on October 1st, Eric ran the St. George marathon. Holy cow. THAT was an amazing thing to witness... All those marathoners running/walking/barely moving across the finish line. We saw so many people get right to the end and their legs just totally gave out. Their legs literally stopped functioning and it was all they could do to limp across the finish line. Eric didn't have much time to train after the half Iron Man, so the longest run he had ever done in his life up to this point was a half marathon. He felt really good through the whole race and was keeping a pace to finish at about 3 hours, 45 minutes. But then he became acquainted with mile 20 and slowed way down. He just did a run/walk combo for the next 4 miles and then was able to run the last 2 miles. He finished in about 4 hours, 18 minutes. He's not super thrilled with his time but I think it's pretty dang good considering the amount of training he was able to do. He already wanted to do another one as soon as he finished!

Harper seems to have one method of showing her support... by falling asleep. I couldn't believe she fell asleep in this position but it was so cute! She even slept through me cheering for all the racers.

Here comes Doug!!

And there he is!

My old seminary teacher also happened to be running this race. She used to talk about her marathons and running in seminary (I was lucky enough to have her as a Freshman AND a Senior) so it was really neat for me to see her crossing the finish line at one of her races. She totally rocked it and got a PR on this race! Pretty impressive considering she trains at sea level back in Vancouver and came to race somewhere around 2,000 feet higher.

Again, it was really inspiring to watch, but I don't think I'll ever run a marathon. It definitely takes a huge amount of desire and I just don't have that. 26.2 miles?? No thanks!!

1 comment:

Alycia Grayce (Crowley Party) said...

Love all of these pictures! :) My husband is from St. George so maybe I need to get my butt down there and do a race.